Diamond Street ECC is a non- profit school. DSECC’s ministry is to provide a nurturing, safe, and educational environment that emphasizes the worth and uniqueness of each child, in a Christian atmosphere that promotes peaceful conflict resolution, respect and service which is consistent with the Anabaptist mission of Akron Mennonite Church.
Our HistoryA Short History of Diamond Street Early Childhood Center
- 1969 a group of mothers from Akron Mennonite Church started a mom’s and child preschool time.
- 1970 – the preschool opened to the public with 15 students and was named Diamond Street Pre-School.
- 1988- In response to parent requests, a daycare center was opened and continues to operate in the church.
- 1997 – An after-school program was opened and the name of the center was changed to Diamond Street Early Childhood Center (DSECC)
- 2001 – DSECC opened a full-day, five-day-a-week private registered kindergarten. This program works in conjunction with the before and after-school program.
- 2002 – DSECC became separately incorporated as a 501 c 3 nonprofit. It remains a mission of Akron Mennonite Church, but operates with a board of directors that includes church, parent, and community representatives.
- 2004 – DSECC added Spanish instruction and also participates in the International Visitor Exchange Program sponsored by Mennonite Central Committee, which brings teachers from other countries to DSECC. These endeavors plant seeds of peace and help children celebrate diversity.
- 2008 – DSECC earned a Keystone STAR 4 rating for its high quality program.
- 2011 – DSECC opened a new site for kindergarten and school age children at 105 N 11th street in Akron.
- 2012 – DSECC started a program, Early Childhood Innovative Connections, to bring independent ECE programs together to find ways to share administrative services.
- 2013- DSECC earned NAEYC accreditation!
- 2016 – DSECC expanded our classrooms at 1311 location and moved our kindergarten and school age back so that all our classes were under one roof. Also in 2016, DSECC was approved to house a state funded Pre-K Counts Classroom.